Our time in Korea is fast coming to a close. This is the last post I will be making from my desk in South Korea, where I can look out at lovely mountains and hear frog song through the window on a summer's evening. We are really going to miss our arpartment, our neighborhood, Camp Red Cloud, and the many friends we have made here. We wish we could stay just a little longer...
...but, as you can see, the packers are here. It has been an interesting move.
For example, most of our boxes are labelled in Hangul. It is going to be an interesting un-packing on the other end!
The ladder truck is here, and boxes are going out the window and down at quite a rapid pace. It is a bit unnerving to see things plummeting down on the little platform. So far - so good. And no rain today, for which we are grateful as this is monsoon season.
Our anniversary was on the 7th. These 3 women are my anniversary present. Yep - that's right, 3 women who are CLEANING the apartment so I don't have to!! That husband of mine sure knows how to give fabulous gifts. Thanks, Layden.
As you might well know, there is a lot to do before all the packing and cleaning. We thought we would show you how we spent the last couple of weeks preparing for our move.
First, there was JenniLynne's wedding. She married Chad Westover on June 25th in St. George, Utah. She is a beautiful bride and it was a lovely wedding. More to come once we get the official disc of photos.
Of course lots of family was there, including the newest grandchild, baby Mason. He was born on June 5th and daughter Rachel is his mother. Here he is with Dad Nathan, brother Staheli and Grandpa Layden.
Of course there had to be time for a hike to look at petrogyphs. Josh, Rachel, Marin, Nathan, and the grandkids all ventured forth for a hot but fun excursion.
Back to Korea and a cruise on the Han river. Here, the lovely stewardess greeting us as we boarded.
Pulling away from the dock, and passing a boat with a rather dire name - U fell-a. Hmmm....
The Han river bisects Seoul. It is bigger than it seems - long and wide. Monsoon season made for a lot of mist and haze, but at least it didn't rain.
It was really interesting to go underneath the many bridges that connect the two sides of Seoul. We have driven over these bridges, but it is a different experience from the river looking up.
The bridges are quite well-engineered and are long and big. The mist makes this one seem to go on forever. We are glad we went on the cruise when we did. Flooding from the monsoons meant that there was a possibility of land mines washing down from North Korea, so river cruises were suspended for a few days.
I have been taking a Korean calligraphy class which I have enjoyed very much. I had been looking for some time, and only just found this class about 2 months ago - not long at all, really, as it takes years to get anywhere near accomplished at this art. It has been fascinating, especially as no one really speaks much English. This is the view of the class from where I sit - up front near the teacher.
Here is the teacher, Gotbi, helping a new student learn to hold the brush and make lines. I am not too far removed from this lesson. Gotbi is a patient and most excellent teacher and a master at this art.
This is one of her finished pieces. She is quite well-known and frequently has gallery and museum shows.
This is Kim Man-Chu, also a most accomplished calligrapher. He is standing next to a beautiful painting that says "Buddha Heart" which he painted. And which he gave to me. I immediately had it mounted on this scroll and brought it back to show him. He was very delighted. So am I.
Of course, even with all there is to do, one must take time to eat. Members of my calligraphy class, including one woman who speaks a bit of English, invited Layden and me to lunch. We ate at a Vietnamese restaurant and had Shabu-Shabu - very delicious. In the lower right hand side of this picture are rice wafers - they look like large plastic coasters. Layden is dipping one in hot water - they turn clear and pliable and then you fill them with meat and vegetables and wrap and eat - delicious!
As you can see, we ate it all! And the language barrier was really no obstacle to sharing good company and good food.
My calligraphy teacher has a charming husband, Hwang Kya-Wan, who is also an artist. We spent a wonderful afternoon with him and Gotbi at his studio. He is seated here under one of his paintings, explaining the 9-grid pattern of symmetry and balance that he uses in his paintings.
We liked his work so much that we bought one of his Korean Moon Jar paintings for our very own. They are abstract and modern, yet tranquil and classic. We will enjoy having this in our new home.
And, we will also enjoy our new Hello Kitty cookware! Let me state at the outset that I am not really a Hello Kitty fan. But, I could not resist this stuff - REAL, serious cookware, including a very sharp kitchen knife, all pink and cute and Kitty. And this is only a small sampling of all that was on offer. What a souvenir! Only in Korea...
It looks like the door really is closing on this adventure. We have loved being here - crazy traffic, smoggy days, and all other oddities notwithstanding. The people are generous and usually kind. The food is marvelous and inexpensive. The post here was great and Layden loved his job, despite long hours and a few tense times. I had a really good time teaching classes. We made good friends and have wonderful memories. We look forward to more stories and adventures as we move ahead. See you in Hawaii!

I'm so glad you loved your adventure in Korea as much as we did! Your calligraphy class reminded me of the flower arranging class I took while I was there. Our sweet teacher spoke very little English so it was mostly demo. I learned a lot and the added bonus was having glorious fresh flowers every week to brighten our apartment! It has been so fun reading your blog and reliving the wonderful time we had there thru your experiences. (I'm trying hard not to be jealous that now you get to go live in Hawaii.. How fun will THAT be??) God bless and safe journey!
ReplyDelete