Friday, May 18, 2012

Mother's Day Reflections

I have been thinking about Mother's Day.  It is a day with which I have a love-hate relationship.For example, it is hard to go to church where I am likely to hear about ideal women who are the paragon of motherhood.  I don't think I actually know any of these perfect women but I find myself making comparisons anyway, and coming up short and somehow being reminded of all my impefections as a mother.  I know I have them.  My children know it too. I just don't like to dredge them up. 
In recent years, I find Mother's Day morning dull.  Now that Stephen is grown and flown I do not lie in bed pretending to be sleeping in while waiting for my breakast in bed.  That was always a fun tradition.  Interesting breakfasts, too.  Layden, who is thoughtful, and also good at breakfasts, makes sure to prepare something yummy for me, but it isn't the same.  And, along with this whole empty nest thing, I find myself a bit envious of women who have children and/or grandchildren nearby.  The military has stationed us in some wonderful places, but not usually near family.
But then, I get to open a box.  Inside I find a card, a book, and a "magic" flower that blooms at the touch of a button.  All of a sudden I am delighted!  I am sure that I am not the only mother to get these items for Mother's Day.  Doesn't matter though - thousands may have gotten them but mine are the BEST!! Why?  Because MY children and MY grandchildren sent them.  They made the effort and took the time to remember me.  And when they called me, they told me that they love me.  What  a WONDERFUL blessing.
I am fortunate to have had the experience of being a mother.  Not everyone gets this chance, and so this day can be a hard one.  Some mothers have lost their children, either physically or emotionally.  My heart aches for them even in the midst of my joy.  Some mothers are in the middle of the hard parts of parenting.  Been there.  Hang on - there will always be ups and downs. 
So, like I said - love-hate.  But I wouldn't trade being a Mom for anything.  Wouldn't trade my book or my card or my flower either.  They are sitting on my desk right by my picture frame, just like my family thought they would.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. and i love you! no hate though. also thanks for being one of my moms :) i collect them and you are top shelf for sure ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sunday, July 26 2009

Sunday, July 26 2009
Remember this sign?
We have learned something really interesting about this "welcome sign" which we thought was a big billboard that was pasted onto an old overpass. It turns out that this is a defensive emplacement known as a rock drop. It is a big concrete box full of rubble and rocks. In the event of an invasion by North Korea the panels underneath the drop will be opened and release the rubble across the roadway, hampering movement into South Korea.

SOLAR ECLIPSE!

SOLAR ECLIPSE!
Might look like the moon - but it's the sun!
On Wednesday July 22 Asia experienced a solar eclipse and we got to see it! Miraculously the expected day of monsoon rain did not materialize and the sky was mostly clear for the duration. During the eclipse, which occured around 11:00 a.m., the sun was much too bright to view directly - we had to be satisfied with reflected images. But, as the sun began to re-appear, just enough clouds came in to allow us to look - and take a picture. It was quite something to behold and we feel lucky for the opportunity.

On A Clear Day...

On A Clear Day...
We had 2 days of church meetings in the Seoul area. Today the weather was remarkably clear and I was able to get a great view of the city skyline and the radio tower. Usually the sky is too hazy for a view like this. Pollution, rain, high humidity or dust storms are contributing factors.