This is a picture of our son, Stephen. If you have been following this blog, you know that he and his family came to visit us in March. Bethany was expecting, and today (the 22nd in the U.S) they are the proud parents of a healthy baby girl! I am missing them and so I went back through pictures of their visit. I came across this one of Stephen in the fish market in Seoul and it reminded me of many moments during his visit when I would look at him and be reminded not of his father, but of mine. My father was well-spoken, with a dry sense of humor and a quick mind. He was intensely curious about the world, loved to travel, and easily engaged in conversations, especially ones from which he felt he could learn something. I was both startled and touched to see these traits so apparent in his grandson.
My father would have been delighted with the news of the arrival of a new baby in the family. I know I am! I also find myself wondering what, if anything, of me will find its way into this little girl. I hope it will be my better traits. I hope it will be things that will help her become wise and strong and kind. I hope that my son will think well of his heritage. I hope he will recongize that his own children have been born of goodly parents.
Grandpa Abe
1923-2005



Congratulations, Grandma!! What a sweet tribute to your son and your dad.. roots and branches, that's really what its all about isn't it? I'm sorry you're not able to be there to see your new little one. Hope that's in your very near future. I know how hard it is to be away from home at times like these. Interesting that the traits you hope you will pass on to your granddaughter are exactly the adjectives I would use to describe you.. only you left out a wicked sense of humor! :)Miss you, my Friend! ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteWhat a great photo of your pop! He looks smart. I know that my own kids are hugely influenced by their grandmothers, even though they have never lived close to them. Congrats to Stephen and Bethany!
ReplyDeleteIsn't Stephen wonderful! I am so glad that I am married to him and am so thankful he is the father of my children... he is a wonderful role model for them.
ReplyDeleteBethany - well of course I think Stephen is wonderful - though I must admit I am not impartial in that assessment. However, notice that I said that your children are born of goodly PARENTS - that applies to both of you. I am grateful every day to know that your wonderful children are loved and cared for so well.
ReplyDelete