Not really - just the soccer stadium across the street and World Cup frenzy.
All the humidity in the air gave the lights quite the UFO appearance. Soccer is the number 1 favorite sport here in Korea. Every time the Korean team has a match (late-early-whenever) the stadium is opened and the event broadcast on big screens to an enthusuastic, cheering crowd. And during half-time they have a sort of rousing community sing-along. Quite the event!!
If we position ourselves just right on our balconey we can catch a slice of the action through one of the openings. We can also hear the play-by-play broadcast, but since it is all in Korean we really sort of depend on the volume and tambre of the crowd to let us know how things are going for Korea. Last Sunday Korea won, which led to a riotous spate of horn-honking, whistling, hollering, and other noisemaking as everyone left the stadium. Last night Korea lost to Argentina, which led to what we thought would be a quieter egress, but it was only marginally less noisy. Apparently everyone was thrilled that the home team scored against the top team, and wanted to make sure they were encouraged for future matches. I can imagine that if the team was paying even a little bit of attention they could have heard the support all the way in South Africa!
IN OTHER NEWS...
MONSOON SEASON is arriving early this year, and we got a bit of a taste of what is to come this afternoon when a fierce storm blew in from the east.
Thr trees were really leaning sideways, and the rain was horizontal. This was followed by sheets of rain pouring down for about half an hour. Now? Sticky humidity!
NEW CAMERA! After years using a wonderful 35 mm, 8 years ago on Mother's Day Layden gave me a great digital point-n-shoot camera which, at first I regarded skeptically but which I grew quite fond of and took with me everywhere. But, as you may have noticed, things began to look a bit pink. Or blank. Or blurry. It was TIME for a new camera. But I didn't WANT a new camera - I wanted THAT camera to work. But it doesn't - at least not well. So, Layden decided that this Mother's Day would be the perfect chance to remedy the situation and he dragged me reluctantly into the world of DSLR with a lovely Canon camera. It is great! Taking pictures is really fun.
I think this is how I looked during most of the trip to China. What do I miss about my old camera? Size and ease of portability. What do I really like about my new camera?
Pictures like this!

The pictures looking down on the trees gives me a stomachache! Is that really your view??
ReplyDeleteYup - that's our view - 16th floor. Urban high-rise living gives us some spectacualr views, but it can be a bit disconcerting to realize just high off the ground we are.
ReplyDeleteUGH Monsoon season is not fun. Actually, the year we lived there I decided I would just go home for a couple of months to escape the muggy heat for awhile. You sure do have spectacular views from your balcony. Very cool. We lived in a basement apartment with all our windows covered in some kind of translucent contact paper type stuff... let in the light but we couldn't see out. Of course, not much of a view to see. I called it our tenement housing apartment. LOL But, it was within walking distance to the base and downtown shopping in Osan so I figured it was a good trade-off. :)
ReplyDelete